Well good morning.
Our time at the hospital was filled with meeting exceptionally devoted, gifted medical staff to whom we are grateful, but it was also filled with psychologically and physically scarring experiences for Zoe. Zoe, 6 days later, STILL has marks on her forehead from where the EEG probes were stuck and wrapped severely tight on her head for over 30 hours. The only thing that brought her comfort at Children’s was music. Volunteer musicians would come to patients’ rooms, and we were visited by a couple of them during our stay. They were always enough to distract her from her misery. Well, yesterday, Zoe’s former Music Together teacher visited Zoe and we all enjoyed watching Zoe play the drum and sing along to familiar songs. What a healing, loving moment.
When I reflect on the impact of people running our errands, beautifying our yard, donating clothes for Zoe (who grew substantially on steroids so that her entire closet of clothing didn’t fit her anymore!), and coming to our home to meet with me rather than requiring me to meet in offices, I am grateful for what is the ultimate, irreplaceable gift of time. I have been able to spend time with my family. In light of Zoe’s diagnosis, time takes on a whole new meaning. Yesterday afternoon, because I wasn’t running around checking off logistical task lists, I was able to sit with Zoe in the backyard and hear her correctly answer my question, “What is this?” while pointing at my elbow. When “elbow” came out of her mouth, rather than “this” which is how she has answered every such question (she habitually simply mimics the last word said), I knew we had turned a cognitive corner.
Some of you have asked about visiting Zoe. I’ve posted her current schedule below and welcome you to find a time that suits you. Zoe often sleeps from 9-10:30am, around 12:30-2pm, and from about 4-6pm, but you never know, she may perk up when she sees you, so come over whenever and we’ll alert her to your presence and see if she has it in her to chat.
9/15 – Anytime after 3:30pm, Zoe is free.
9/16 – Anytime after 1pm, Zoe is free.
9/19 – Free
9/20 – Free after 12:30pm
9/21 – 9/30 – Open right now.
Please continue to pray for us. I praise the Lord for my health; I was able to eat well yesterday and sleep well last night (thank you, Becky, for holding Cam at 4 in the morning!). David has been able to return to work and handle the pressures there. I pray that our family would have divine wisdom as we make decisions with lifelong consequences for Zoe. I praise Jesus that David and I have had unity thus far in our decisions for Zoe and pray that we would continue to be unified as it brings peace to our home.
I hear Cam, so I have to cut this short. I love and appreciate you all.
Catherine
No comments:
Post a Comment