It’s 1:20pm and we are anticipating going home by dinner
time tonight.
Everything has been unhooked or taken out of Zoe except the
PICC line. We’re waiting for the nurse to give us the final discharge
instructions and she said she would do that within the next couple of
hours.
The preliminary report is that there are no other areas of concern
per the PET and CT scans, praise be to God. The GI team said it’s likely that
her ulcer will heal, and they gave us signs to look for that indicate we need to
bring her back in.
We were visited today by Brian who comes to the rooms
to play music. Zoe played the drum and he played the guitar, and David and I
danced, sang, and shook tambourines. It was great to see Zoe laugh and to hear
her sing. I think music is going to be a powerful tool in her recovery and
ongoing education and physical development. It’s a shame I don’t know the first
thing about music, but I can see the value of it and will make sure it’s an
enjoyable, educational, and frequent part of her life.
Today is Camden’s
4 week birthday and he’s been here for almost 3 of those 4 weeks. I cannot wait
to be home with my children, to bathe them, to cuddle with them, to read stories
to them, to see Bella with them, and to watch Daddy ask Zoe to get him coffee in
the morning (she loves pushing the button on the coffee maker).
Zoe’s
blood count is still low and we’ve learned that it takes 6-8 weeks for the blood
counts to rise on their own (versus blood transfusion), but Zoe doesn’t have 6-8
weeks before her chemotherapy starts. In fact, even between now and then,
plenty of her blood will be taken for various tests, starting tomorrow. I pray
for Zoe’s strength, for wisdom as I prepare her diet and regulate her
activities, and for clear communication among all of her medical teams so they
are economical in both timing and amount of blood they take from her.
Hope to write to you from home next
time!
Love,
Catherine
No comments:
Post a Comment